When you remove a shared file, be it within the shared with me or in your own drive, it really just removes the shortcut to that file. If you had access before, you will still have access after. If you click the link to that file after you remove it, the file will reappear in the shared with me section.
Can you delete shared with me files on Google Drive?
Remove files or folders that people have shared with you
Go to drive.google.com. On the left, click Shared with me. Right click the file you want to remove. Click Remove.
What happens if I remove a shared folder in Google Drive?
If you delete a folder that you shared with others& you and others will lose access to it. This is because you own it and deleted it as the owner.
What happens when you remove a file in Google Drive?
To remove a file from your Drive, you can put it in your trash. The file will stay in your trash for 30 days before being automatically deleted. If you’re the owner of the file, others can view it until you permanently delete the file. If you’re not the owner, others can see the file even if you empty your trash.
When you delete from a shared Drive where does it go?
If you delete a file from a network share, it is gone. If you look in the Recycle Bin, it won’t be there. This happens because Windows is organized so that deleted files can be captured by the Windows Recycle bin on local drives only.
Why can’t I delete shared Drive?
A Shared Drive with content in it cannot be deleted. And because every big company does dumb things, Google does not make this obvious. They simply remove the option from the menu vs greying it out with a note about the directory having to be empty for deletion … or really any clue at all would be nice.
How do I delete a shared folder?
3.4 Delete a shared drive
- Make sure the shared drive is empty. If you want to keep files or folders, move them to My Drive. Or, to delete them, move them to the trash.
- Right-click the shared drive that you want to delete. click Delete shared drive.
- Click Delete Shared Drive to confirm.
Do shared with me files take up space?
Files in “Shared with me” and shared drives. These files only take up space in the owner’s Google Drive.
How do I remove a shared folder?
Removing Shared Folders
- Go to Control Panel > Privilege > Shared Folders > Shared Folder.
- Select the shared folders to remove. Note: Default shared folders cannot be removed.
- Click Remove. A warning message appears.
- Optional: Select Also delete the data (mounted ISO image files will not be deleted).
- Click Yes.
Will uninstalling Google Drive delete my files?
After you uninstall the application, you can delete the Google Drive folder from your computer without deleting anything in your Google Drive on the web. The Google Drive folder – including the files and folders it contains – will remain on your computer unless you delete it.
Can anyone see my Google Drive files?
Visibility options let you control how people access your files, folders, and Google Docs. Anything that you create, sync or upload in Google Drive starts out as private. When you create a private doc, you’re the only person with access to it. From there, you can give access to other people.
How do I undo a deleted file on a shared drive?
Restoring a Deleted File
- Right click on the file and select Restore Previous Versions.
- Select a version of the folder before the file was deleted and click Open.
- Browse to the file that was deleted and select Copy to copy it back to your Home drive.
How can I see who deleted a shared folder in Google drive?
Search for Shared Drive ID and filter on Delete events, to view all files that are deleted and who deleted them from the Shared Drive. An Admin can combine the filters and search for Events equal to Delete or Trash – to see all Deleted and Trashed files and who did the Deletion.